This may come as a shock to some of you, but I was never a big mac and cheese fan growing up. For me, there was always something off about the packaged cheese and fake taste, plus I wasn’t a huge fan of pasta! In saying that, I have realised how dang delicious a homemade mac and cheese is. This healthy mac and cheese recipe contains hidden veggies (perfect for picky eaters) and is so creamy and delicious that you’d never even know it!
My homemade mac & cheese is best served hot, plus it makes a great side dish!
Dairy Free, Vegan
SERVES 4| TOTAL TIME 30
1. Heat your oven to 180 degrees. Grease a baking dish with coconut oil.
2. Cook macaroni pasta according to package directions, drain and set aside.
3. Steam your cauliflower. To steam, cut the cauliflower into florets and put about 1/4 inch of water into a frying pan. Heat the water until it is boiling, add in the cauliflower florets and cover to steam until they are as tender as you want. This usually takes about five minutes. When done steaming, turn off the heat and drain any water from pan.
4. Grate carrot. Mix in with steamed cauliflower.
5. While the cauliflower is steaming, prepare the sauce. Add the rest of the ingredients (all ingredients except the cauliflower, macaroni and carrot) into a food processor and process until you get a smooth, creamy sauce. If you’d prefer a thinner sauce, you can add in some water.
6. Place the cauliflower florets, carrot and macaroni in an even layer in a baking dish. Pour ½ of the cheese sauce evenly over and toss through. Pour the rest of the sauce to cover the top of the macaroni.
7. Bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the top has browned. If desired, pop in under the grill for 1-2 minutes to crisp the top.
Nutritional yeast is a dairy free cheese substitute that tastes delicious! It can be used to add extra protein, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants to your meals. However, if it isn’t your cup of tea you can always substitute for cheddar/mozzarella or any vegan cheese of choice!
This recipe is an exclusive from Georgie’s Find Your Healthy: A Beginner’s Guide to Intuitive Eating + Healthy Living Recipes eBook.