“Bloating is essentially your body telling you that it is finding it hard to digest your food,” shares expert nutritionist, Jessica Sepel. Here, she shares her top tips on how to beat the dreaded bloat this ABTOBER – and for life!
- Enjoy warm lemon water with the juice of 1/2 a lemon and some freshly grated ginger throughout the day.
- Take 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar before each main meal to help aid digestion.
- Add 2-4 grams of glutamine to your smoothie at breakfast or snack.
- Enjoy chamomile or peppermint tea throughout the day. Herbal tea is a great way to hydrate and detox the body – and always be sure to drink plenty of filtered water.
- Prior to a big meal, take a digestive enzyme to get things started!
- Don’t drink too much just before, during or after a meal because it can interrupt digestion. Small sips are okay.
- Slow down and chew each bite at least 10-20 times. Eating too fast causes gas and bloating, and also prevents you from recognizing when you feel satisfied.
- Taking a walk after a big meal is a great way to get your system moving.
- Chew on raw fennel. It sounds strange, but it works magic on bloating!
- Stretch! This is one of my favourites: put your legs up against the wall and focus on deep breathing for 10-15 minutes. This will calm the nervous system and aid digestion.
www.jessicasepel.com | @jshealth
MORE ARTICLES BY JESSICA SEPEL
Nutritionist Jessica Sepel on how to prevent a burnout
Jessica Sepel’s Easy Blender Dark Chocolate & Banana Muffins
Nutritionist Jessica Sepel’s 4-Ingredient Breakfast Cookies
Recipe: Healthy Peanut Butter Fudge